Monday, December 27, 2010

Picture of the Day: Audrey Hepburn as photographed by Cecil Beaton

Welcome back from the holidays, I trust you all had a good time.  One of my favorite gifts was a book about Audrey Hepburn given to me by me little brother-in-law.  As soon as I opened it I was taken aback by the beautiful photographs, including a couple of her wearing the creations of one of my all-time favorite costume designers Cecil Beaton.  Cecil Beaton was also acting as the photographer which explains how he could so perfectly capture what was, after all, his own artistic vision.  Prior to his career as a costumer for the stage and screen, he worked as a staff photographer for Vanity Fair and Vogue, not to mention that he frequently photographed the British royal family. 

The photograph below features his work on the film My Fair Lady and is a stunning example of both his achievement as a costume designer and a photographer.  Rarely do you see such wonderfully detailed documentation of costume design of this era. Notice the trueness of color.  Most costume designs at this time were photographed in low-focus black and white.  Another interesting note, Audrey never wore this costume in the film, instead wearing the now famous black and white ribboned dress.   This costume, fabulous as it is, was passed off and worn by an extra in the Ascot race scene of the film.

1 comment:

  1. She is such a beautiful woman. I've always loved pictures of her and movies :)

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?